Jane Austen and P&P

Pride and Prejudice turned 200 this January. It is hard to imagine that a story set in rural England 200 years ago could have this much sway over the minds of thousands of women, but Pride and Prejudice does just that. I believe that P&P is the original chick-lit, but in a language and a form far superior to those we have today.



(not owned by me)

Pride and Prejudice marries two of my most favourite characteristics in romance novels.
The first is the heroine - Obstinate, headstrong girl, as rightly called by Lady Catherine De Borough.



And the enigmatic, slightly rude hero with a heart of gold.




All in all, it resembles a firangi version of a Bollywood movie. Upper class and lower class protagonists - an excellent conflict if there was one - hatred that blossoms into love - much more entertaining than the sappy stories - and clever quips and biting dialogues. But there is a freshness of the prose that I feel our films can hardly aspire to. But with the changing face of Marathi cinema, I remain hopeful (no hopes from Bollywood for me!)

There have been many versions of Pride and Prejudice on the screen. Most notables:

1. BBC Version

The best of the lot, seriously. I LOVE IT!

It rocks. Colin Firth is the perfect Mr. Darcy and Jennifer Ehle does a stunning job as Elizabeth. The music is beautiful, and right from the opening credits, all 6 parts manage to leave one spellbound.


2. Pride and Prejudice

The movie. Truly speaking, I did not like it. Everyone is far too thin and stylish to be believable.






See what I mean?

3. Bride and Prejudice

I am cringing as I write this.




I did not like the movie. I found the dialogue insipid, lacking the pithy quality of the original. But it is overall a good watch.

Merchandise

Pride and Prejudice has done well in the merchandising department. Following are the items I have been coveting:

Earrings of 'It will not do...' from Etsy.



Bags from Cafepress







Clothbound book from Penguin (I am SO going to buy this):
:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gudetama is my soulmate

From Campus to Corporate

Struggle and a lesson in theory of literature