Midnight's children by Salman Rushdie

After a first disappointing read, I set my sights on Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie.

What can I say? I was rendered speechless by this stunning novel. The characters leapt out of the pages - these are people I know, people I have seen and those I have heard about.

Saleem Sinai, the protagonist is one of the midnight's children... Born on the stroke of midnight on 15th of August 1947, his fate is entwined with that of India. He is affected by all the major events of India, and he is, indirectly and directly, responsible for many events that shape the destiny of the country. The novel spans sixty three years, starting with the grandfather of the protagonist and addresses four generations of the family.

The intricacy of the novel leaves one spellbound and Rushdie's singular writing style is just...awesome.



I will definitely be re-reading this novel in the future, dwelling on the characters and the events.

It makes for a wonderful, wonderful read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tess of D'Urbervilles

Gudetama is my soulmate

Arbhaat short film club: 11th session